Monday, May 4, 2009

Literary Geek quiz

From FaceBook, just because.

1) You own the most books written by what author?
Hassler probably. Decided to read them all after Staggerford. McMurtrey may be close, although I started checking those out of the library.

2) You own the most copies of what book?
No more than two copies of any that I can think of. Why more? Trying to think if there might be three of something, besides the dictionary or Roget's What'sanotherwordforit?

3) Did it bother you that [the original form of] both those questions ended with prepositions?
Ooh. It would have, my response to question 2 notwithstanding.

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Jane Eyre or Agnes (Copperfield). Tess.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
The Lord of the Rings, although I still haven't read most of the poetry and the last reading was disappointing.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
The Chip Hilton series. Or Bronc Burnett. Sports.

7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
I would say, but it might get back to the author. Let's go with Clifford, The Big Red Dog.

8) What is the best book you've read in the past year?
Love in the Time of Cholera.

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
Any PG Wodehouse.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for literature?
No clue. Beyond my pay grade.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
Somebody needs to give War and Peace the Masterpiece treatment. Or have they already?

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
Clifford, The Big Red Dog

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
I dreamt Fred MacMurray was God. Does that count? He was wearing a polo shirt. I forget what he told me, which is a serious hole in this story. I'm sure there are better examples, but I'm drawing a blank.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?
The Harry Potter series, although, imho, it's not lowbrow. I haven't read too much trash. The book I didn't mention for question 7 would definitely qualify. I did read Bridges of Madison County, come to think of it.

15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
Bleak House. Took me ten years. I'm not sure I finished it. The Unconsoled was not an easy read, but it's probably the most difficult book that I've read without too much trouble. It just fit my mood, I guess.

16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?
Nothing too obscure. Maybe Bob, the Dentist from Padua?

17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
For what? To read? Russians. Painting? French. Pastries? French.

18) Roth or Updike?
Roth, I guess. I read Portnoy's Complaint for the first time this year. Haven't read any Updike for years. This question is a little vague, no?

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
David Sedaris. Who is Dave Eggers? I should find out, I bet. I like Amy Sedaris, too.

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Shakespeare. Doesn't he beat them all?

21) Austen or Eliot?
Austen. For me, no one has a more pleasant tune. George Eliot, I assume? I liked the PBS Middlemarch production a lot.

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
I don't really retain anything I read. Too many bonks to the head. Haven't read lots of highbrow stuff. Proust, et al. Why bother if it's not going to stick?

23) What is your favorite novel?
Any Austen, maybe. David Copperfield, once upon a time. Lonesome Dove. I dunno. The question is much too hard to answer.

24) Play?
Waiting for Godot. Stoppard. Hamlet? Midsummer Night's Dream?

25) Poem?
Poetry is beyond me. I always liked Hollis Summers' poem about the guy in other peoples' photographs. I'm sure there's one by Frost or Whitman I could cough up if pounded hard enough. Mike wrote one about silos in Midwest towns I always liked.

26) Essay?
My favorite essay?? You're kidding, right? I sure like what Lewis Lapham's writing these days in Harper's.

27) Short story?
Goodbye to All Cats, by PG.

28) Work of non-fiction?
The Last Place on Earth. I dunno. I've read a lot of great books lately and in my life.

29) Who is your favorite writer?
Jane Austen, PG Wodehouse. I really like Richard Russo, for someone still kicking.

30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
Ann Coulter.

31) What is your desert island book?
Firestarting for Dummies.

32) And ... what are you reading right now?
House of Cards, William Cohan (also finishing Love in the Time of Cholera).

No comments:

Post a Comment